On May 5th, 2010 our life was redefined when we discovered that I have a tumor
growing in the spinal cord of my neck.

The purpose of this blog to keep an updated record of our "Life Redefined" and give you the details you might be wondering about (surgery, recovery and other random daily stuff, etc...)

For our friends and our family members who want to be kept updated this is the easiest way for us to do it. It's also good therapy for me to write it down!

We still want you to call or visit if you feel like it - we find so much strength from you. All of your words and encouraging thoughts and prayers are a great blessing for us!

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Church in the Hospital




Kara was able to go to church today! They have a little chapel here on the second floor where they hold a sacrament meeting. Kara and I were able to attend the service, take the sacrament, sing hymns and listen to the talks. The service is only half an hour, so even our two year-old would have been able to last through the meeting. They have a little branch at the hospital with doctors and nurses making up the branch with their spouses and then patients and family can attend as well. If you are assigned to give a talk, you only have five minutes!




Before church this morning, physical therapy helped Kara get into a wheelchair. They worked with her moving from the bed to the wheelchair, and then we went down to the physical therapy gym and she did some therapy on the parallel bars. Kara was able to move herself down the hall in the wheelchair and with some help she was able to stand a few times while holding onto the parallel bars.


Kara was also able to get into her own clothes! Here in rehab you get dressed everyday and you don't wear hospital gowns, you wear your own clothes so that was another milestone today. After the rough day yesterday, Kara was able to sleep well last night and after physical therapy and church today she was worn out so she had another nap. She is looking good and slowing gaining strength.


The physical therapy here will be good for her progress even though it will be painful. She will receive 3-4 hours of physical therapy six days a week starting tomorrow. In therapy she will re-learn basic skills like getting dressed, cooking, standing, walking, etc.


We continue to pray that her feeling in her legs and feet will return so she can have full use of her legs and feet again. We are grateful for the many miracles so far and we are grateful for all of your thoughts and prayers; they make a difference.


Kara loves visitors, so if any of you happen to be in the area or are able to make it down to Salt Lake, she would love to see you. She also checks her phone for texts and the computer for emails and comments on the blog, so if you cannot see her in person, send her a message and she will respond as she is able to do so.


We love you all and appreciate all your love and support!

12 comments:

Mamma Bird 596 said...

Kara, Miss got me on your blog and I read your postings. Prayers are with you always.

Bowler Family said...

Look at you, so amazing!! You are such a great example even while you are in the hospital having major surgery! That is awesome that they had church there, and only half an hour? Imagine that with kiddos LOL!!!

Kara, Can I just say that I love you! Good Luck with therapy! We are thinking and praying for you and your family!

BIG HUGS:)

Teresa said...

Congratulations on what looks like a better day! I'm glad you were able to go to church. Thirty minute meetings, hmmm...makes 'ya think! :)

Keep smiling.

Love 'ya!

PS: I REALLY like the hat!

Valerie said...

I was also thinking the hat was a wise purchase :) Church in the hospital is the best! When I had the baby, they came and administered the sacrament to me - I commented that it was the most reverent sacrament I'd ever had! YOu are looking great. You keep up the positive attidude; we'll keep up the prayers.

Ryan and Heather said...

I loved attending the branch there while Megyn was in the hospital. I'm so glad you were able to go...such a comforting thing to experience when you're going through such a major trial. We are thinking and praying for you constantly. Kara, you look amazing!

Ryan and Heather said...

I loved attending the branch there while Megyn was in the hospital. I'm so glad you were able to go...such a comforting thing to experience when you're going through such a major trial. We are thinking and praying for you constantly. Kara, you look amazing!

Ryan and Heather said...

I loved attending the branch there while Megyn was in the hospital. I'm so glad you were able to go...such a comforting thing to experience when you're going through such a major trial. We are thinking and praying for you constantly. Kara, you look amazing!

Nick Martin said...

Hi Kearsleys,

Just wanted you let you know you are in our thoughts and prayers.

I missed the joke day so here is mine.

What is the difference roast beef and pea soup?

Anybody can roast beef.

Let us now if we can do anything for you guys.

Haileyb said...

Hey Kara! Was just thinking about you. You look great! You are amazing and such a great example to me. Can't wait for you to get back. Love ya. You are always in our prayers.
Hailey Burton

Erinn said...

love you kara!! you are such an inspiration to me! you are and will be in my prayers... you and your cute family.

Shera said...

Kara you are in our hearts and prayers!

Brian and Lauren said...

Hey Kara!

I can't come and visit..but I am sending a little something with Christy Taylor. I can't even imagine how hard this is but you are an inspiration and I hope you know you are in our thoughts and prayers back home in the Lincoln 7th ward!

Love you!
Brian and Lauren Astle