On May 5th, 2010 our life was redefined when we discovered that I have a tumor
growing in the spinal cord of my neck.

The purpose of this blog to keep an updated record of our "Life Redefined" and give you the details you might be wondering about (surgery, recovery and other random daily stuff, etc...)

For our friends and our family members who want to be kept updated this is the easiest way for us to do it. It's also good therapy for me to write it down!

We still want you to call or visit if you feel like it - we find so much strength from you. All of your words and encouraging thoughts and prayers are a great blessing for us!

Friday, May 28, 2010

From Kara!

Good morning! After a good night sleep and some good news this morning I feel like  blogging a bit!

Hasn't my sweet husband done a great job keeping this up for ? I love hm so much for it. 

I am having to type one fingered because my right hand isn't quite that coordinated yet. But it is gaining strength.  In fact I am really happy that my upper body, belly button up, is mostly normal and capable.  I anticipate nothing but full use and recovery there and probably very quickly.

My lower body is another story.  I have great motion and muscle use (so they tell me!). GOOD!  I have discovered, however that being able to move my legs is great, but, when you can't feel what or how you're moving them it makes the process of doing anything on you own impossible.  I have had two Physical Therapy visits.  Each difficult and each painful and somewhat scary.  When they do eventually get me up on my feet they have harness around my waist and attached to them and then they lift me up.  They tell me I am using my muscles to hold me up but I can't feel that and I certainly don't feel like my feet are on the ground. I feel like I am literally floating in mid-air and upright. It is by far the weirdest thing I've ever felt.  The 1st time they got me up my blood pressure dropped and I almost passed out. The other times I have been able to not feel that so much.  When they sit me on the side of the bed before standing I can hold myself there...can't feel my rear but can hold myself anyway with someone spotting me close by.  I have a bright yellow arm band that says "fall risk" on so everyone knows...HA!...I'm pretty sure they'll figure it out or I'll tell them before they get too far!  So. Sometimes I feel nervous that it may not all return and that I am going to be a numb walker forever...but I am grateful for time and hope and the many priesthood blessings and prayers that give me confidence! 

This weekend, upon quick enough insurance pre-approval, they will move me one floor down to in-patient rehabilitation where is will stay until they are confident i can be at home...with help from family.  It could b e few days to a few weeks.  It will all just depend. There I get 3 hours of PT a day on their different equipment and it's broken down into sessions so not too much at a time.  My neuro doctors are all close by here too for help and they are well staffed with all of their doctors too.   I am really hoping a private rehab room though...I heard there were some shared ones.   I feel very uncomfortable about that.  I will get to wear normal clothes...if we can get them on!  I am still cathetered and bed panned (kind of humiliating!)  Upon returning home I may still need a walker, chair or cain for a while...but it's all just time.  I think it would have been much harder to wake up with less use of my upper than my lower body....I am so gratefully counting my blessings!

We had a good quick visit from one of the Resident doctors early this morning - he was in on the surgery.  He said the xrays of the hardware in my neck look great and that the MRI looks good too! TUMOR is ALL GONE!  No results from pathology yet. I've asked to see those pictures though ...I'd like my own before and after pictures to keep.

They also removed my bandage and the incision is very nice looking.  They didn't have to shave any of my hair!  WOO HOO! The haircut worked and, yes...I am being a little bit vain...wondering how I look!
I fully plan on running a marathon in a year! Better yet...playing soccer  in the back yard with my babies!

I have been able to kiss and play with Levi a bit! So wonderful! Too much hospital time is hard on a baby.  I'll be sad when he leaves for a time and can't come smile at me everyday.  He brings me a lot of joy!

I have spoken to Emily and Andrew twice since surgery and it's been great and bitter sweet.  The 1st time Andrew heard my voice he immediately started to cry and say, "Mommy, I want to come home."  That was hard and broke my heart. He snapped out of it though, hugged his "Mommy hugs and kisses puppy" and went on to tell me the fun things they've been doing.  They have been sending me a lot of picture texts of the kids throughout the days and I can see their cute faces each moment I request!

12 comments:

Jamie said...

Sooooo glad to hear from you! I am so grateful everything is going well! You sound like you are in really good spirits and that is comforting to hear.

You were so smart to set up this blog. I look forward to checking it everyday to see how you are doing.

I miss ya and we pray for you everyday! Take care! Hope to see you soon! :) Love ya!

Beth said...

HIP HIP HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!1 It is awesome to hear new straight from you! We all miss you and your beautiful kids! Can't wait to see you! I love you so very much Kara, you are a huge inspiration to me!

Unknown said...

Woohoo! I'm so glad you are writing again! You are truly blessed by an amazing husband and family! I'm continue to pray for you!!! Keep up the great work friend and kick that physical therapy in the butt! Big Hugs!!!

Kaish said...

Yayy!!! Way to go Kara! You've done awesome! Love, love, love your positive attitude! You've shown us no mountain is too big to climb! Such an inspinspiration! So glad you and Bryan have kept us updated through all of this. We'll keep praying for you! Love ya girl!

Penny said...

Hey Girl you looking good. So glad to hear that you are making good progress. I sent you a text but don't know if you read it or got it. I have two walkers and canes that you can use if you need. They were my mothers. One walker is the kind you can sit on very nice one. I may be coming to SLC next weekend and if you want I could bring it with me. Paul is going to LA and I think I ;may go see my daughter in Logan. Let me know if you want it, need it, or can use it when you get home. Your house is very condusive to using it since it is very open. Love ya Penny

Donna said...

You are an inspiration to all. I am so impressed by your faith, courage, dedication, and love. Praying for a speedy recovery.

Donna Johnson (Hermana Belliston)

Suzanne said...

Kara,
I cannot believe how good your incision looks! That is amazing! Your husband is a real "Prince"! Every day is only going to get better! I know that you will be blessed all the way through this trial. You are truly loved by so many and especially by your Heavenly Father! Keep up the good work!
I love you,
Suzanne

JessieMomma said...

Kara, YAY!!!! You sound like you are really in good spirits, I'm so happy for you and all of your progress! Your husband HAS been amazing, both of you are so strong, I don't know if I could ever have had the wherewithall to continue a blog like you have. But I tell you, it's become my daily routine to check up on you and update my family before prayers. You are much prayed for and thought of at this home, we love you and are sending all of our love and support so that you can get home to those babies soon and play soccer and ride bikes with them!

It's been good to see pictures of you, your incision looks really great, it really is amazing! The fact that you are able to type, even one fingered, is proof of how well you are healing. PT is one of those neccesary evils... you will ROCK IT though, I know you will!!!!

Hug Brian for us and thank him for keeping us updated. We look forward to more posts from both of you!
With love, Jessica Worley and Donna Edgar and family.

Jon and Maryanne said...

So happy things are going well!!! I hope you continue to heal quickly and are able to gain full strength and feeling in your lower body very soon! The picture or you, your mom, and Levi brought happy tears!!! It is so sweet!!!

Kamala said...

YOU are AMAZING! Miss you so much and can't wait to see you at home...How exciting to say you have felt like Casper the Ghost...floating weightless in the air..lol

Shari said...

Kara, so great to hear from you on here. Brian has done so well updating, but I'm happy to hear directly from you.

I'm so glad that everything is moving forward for you and that you are progressing.

Don't forget that you are thought of and prayed for daily by so many people who love you and your family!

Miss you and hope to see you soon.
Love ya!

Angie T. said...

Kara & Brian thank you for the updates! You and your family are in our prayers. I am so happy things are going so well and I hope for continued prgress.

Love you and hope to see you soon!
Angie