On May 5th, 2010 our life was redefined when we discovered that I have a tumor
growing in the spinal cord of my neck.

The purpose of this blog to keep an updated record of our "Life Redefined" and give you the details you might be wondering about (surgery, recovery and other random daily stuff, etc...)

For our friends and our family members who want to be kept updated this is the easiest way for us to do it. It's also good therapy for me to write it down!

We still want you to call or visit if you feel like it - we find so much strength from you. All of your words and encouraging thoughts and prayers are a great blessing for us!

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Report

Monday morning we met with Dr. Dailey for my consultation.  Yesterday was another whirlwind day and we are all trying to gather ourselves and catch our breath - sorry, I didn't post this sooner.

We are back in Idaho Falls for now.  Today (Tuesday) or tomorrow we will hear from Dr. Dailey's office with an operation date.  He is going to be clearing his schedule for a time next week for my procedure.

Here are the facts:

The procedure should take anywhere from 4-6 hours, but he said he's going to take 8 if he needs it.  They won't know until they get in there.

They expect I will be in SLC for at least 3 weeks if everything goes well.  1 week at the hospital post surgery and 2 weeks in an in-house rehabilitation.

There is a 20% chance of some type of permanent damage to my nervous system, from slight numbness in a part of my body for the rest of my life to lack of movement of something to total paralysis (he did say that paralysis is "not an option" though).  20% is a number I can deal with.  80% is much better odds!

Their technologies have improved so much over the years that they can monitor every single one of my nerve endings through the procedures and their systems will tell them when to stop and when to go according to how my nerves are reacting.

These types of tumors are very rare in the neck.  In the United States they see about 200 a year and this doctor here says he gets about 10 of them.  Still, pretty good numbers.

There is some good news.  While my tumor was originally expected to be all tumor with a little bit of fluid, the Dr believes it is not the case.  My C3-C7 Vertebrae are still affected but it is a combination of tumor and a cyst that has formed around the tumor and is filled with spinal fluid that has been trapped there.  This means they will not have to open up as many of my vertebrae, only 2 or 3 and then once the tumor is out they will make sure the cyst drains completely too. 

My mom came home with us for now and will be here until we figure out the surgery date and plans from here forward.  She may go home for a short time if the surgery is prolonged into the later part of next week.  For now the Dr said I could take Benadryl to help me sleep and he gave me some pain meds. 

Right now we are focusing on the kids and hoping that I will be able to spend some good quality (feeling good) time with them over the next few days to come.

Thank you for your thoughts, prayers and fasting.  I have felt so much love and while at times it feels dark and scary I have had moments of pure peace where I have felt the overwhelming comfort of the prayers and angels sent in my behalf.  Love to you all!

9 comments:

Red Head Family said...

I've been checking all day to find out-so glad that the odds are so much better. You know I can come and help with whatever you need. My schedule is pretty clear. DO you want me to call you? I can come clean, laundry anything!!!! I don't want you to be exhausted from phone calls but I want to help!!!

cardwellclan said...

Kara, I felt partially relieved hearing this! Of course, there's so much going on and to come, but it made me happy/more at ease to hear how things are. I'm sure things will still be hard and you'll still have my prayers. I just hope the next few weeks go wonderfully for you!!!

Love,

Becky C

Ryan and Heather said...

Been thinking about you so much! So glad you get to spend some quality time with your kiddos! Your attitude is AMAZING!

Erica said...

So glad to know what's going on! You're so brave, and you do have an amazing attitude. We're all thinking positive for you! Sounds like you're in good hands with your Doc. Much love:)

Tim said...

Kara and Brian,
Thank you for the update on the consultation. It sounds like prayers are already being answered in your behalf. I want you to know that the comfort that comes to you in those moments of peace is a direct result of the many, many prayers on your behalf, and a loving Father in Heaven, who is in control. Let us know the dates of the surgery, that my family may join in with the many who have already offered, in fasting and prayer. I know it will make the difference, it has in my life many times! We love you and pray for you always.
Bishop Belnap

Larsen said...

I am with Bishop, as we would like to fast as well. I am glad to hear that your doctor say that paralysis is not an option. What a great guy! Sounds like his attitude is very optimistic!

With your mom here, you probably have plenty of help. Please let me know if I can help. Emily and Andrew can come over to play if you need them too!

Unknown said...

I love you friend. I was glad to hear that your spirits seem to be up. I checked your blog four different times today. I was so glad to see an update. It sounds like you are being taken care of in the best way possible, and that makes me feel a little relief. I will continue to pray for and think of you and your family. Continue staying strong!
Love HEz

Loren & Autumn said...

I am grateful to hear of the optimism in this consultation. You have been in our prayers and we also would like to fast for you. As I would love to see you, I know how important this time must be for you and your family. I am constantly thinking of you and will be keeping in touch to see when the date is set.

Love The Galloway's said...

Kara, my little buddy! I think Dr. Dailey is the one who oversaw Cade's treatment, are you going through the UofU hospital? I also may have a place for people to stay. I have a lot of details to see if this would work for you guys. Please call me when you are feeling up to it and I'll help arrange things down here 435-890-9079 call as late or early as you want. Here to help and lots of love coming your way.
Jill (Littlefield)