On May 5th, 2010 our life was redefined when we discovered that I have a tumor
growing in the spinal cord of my neck.

The purpose of this blog to keep an updated record of our "Life Redefined" and give you the details you might be wondering about (surgery, recovery and other random daily stuff, etc...)

For our friends and our family members who want to be kept updated this is the easiest way for us to do it. It's also good therapy for me to write it down!

We still want you to call or visit if you feel like it - we find so much strength from you. All of your words and encouraging thoughts and prayers are a great blessing for us!

Friday, May 7, 2010

The Diagnosis

After the long wait in the morning and the nervous anticipation I got to spend 2 1/2 hours in the MRI tube.  Believe it or not it was very relaxing (even with all the noise!).  My wonderful mother-in-law came down that morning and stayed with the kids.  We had to put my little sweet Levi on a bottle and we knew at that point that I would not be able to nurse him for at least 24 hours after the MRI.  He's not a bottle baby at all.  (Now we know that we're totally done nursing and Levi has been completely blessed to be able to adjust with very few complaints up to this point.  Okay, that was a tangent....)

After the MRI we headed to the Dr's office to get the results.  Because the test was so lengthy we had a good wait ahead of us and the Dr said we could wait or come home and he'd call.  We decided to come home to be with the kids.  We were here for about 45 minutes and his nurse called to say that he did want to talk to us in his office.  When we sat down he immediately drew us a picture:

There is no option with this tumor but to operate.  Given the location and the complexity of it being surrounded by several small neck vertebrae and my nervous system they won't go in to biopsy.  They will only go in to remove.  Their best educated guess is that it is a benign tumor.  However we won't know that until after the surgery and the biopsy. 

The doctors here will not touch such a tumor.  I am going to Salt Lake to the University of Utah Hospital.  They a top notch hospital.  Monday morning Brian and I will be down there for a consultation with Dr. Dailey, the surgeon.   At that point they will walk us through everything, including the risks involved, we'll get to see the pictures of the tumor, date of surgery, time expected for a recovery, etc...

5 comments:

Ryan and Janelle said...

Hi Kara, you don't know me, but I am Gina Larsen's sister, Janelle. The U of U is an amazing technologically advanced hospital. You'll be in great hands here in SLC. My prayers go out to you and your family. So sorry to hear the scary news. Hope everything works out for you. Reading your story made me think of a quote...not sure why, but I'll follow the prompting and share it with you.

"Courage does not always roar.
Sometimes courage is a quiet voice
at the end of the day,
saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Mary Anne Radmacher

Keep your courage and faith up & best of luck!

cardwellclan said...

I love you Kara!!! This made me sad to read this. I feel that Heavenly Father is very aware of you. You will be in my prayers. Much love,

Becky

Larsen said...

You are for sure in my prayers. that drawing is every helpful, as I haven't had the courage to do any google searches.

Hugs and Kisses. PS. Hope the milk duds are helping, and I am so grateful that Levi is adjusting to such an immediate change.

Ammon said...

Thanks for all of the updates, Kara. We'll be keeping you in our prayers for sure! Love you so much! :)

Alveybunch said...

My dear cousin,
My heart goes out to you and your family with this trial you are facing. I know the Lord hears our prayers and is very mindful of you and your family. We are praying for you. Please let us know if there is anything we can do, we will continue praying for you.
Love you tons!
Alisha