On May 5th, 2010 our life was redefined when we discovered that I have a tumor
growing in the spinal cord of my neck.

The purpose of this blog to keep an updated record of our "Life Redefined" and give you the details you might be wondering about (surgery, recovery and other random daily stuff, etc...)

For our friends and our family members who want to be kept updated this is the easiest way for us to do it. It's also good therapy for me to write it down!

We still want you to call or visit if you feel like it - we find so much strength from you. All of your words and encouraging thoughts and prayers are a great blessing for us!

Monday, May 24, 2010

A Good Day...

We've had a great day with my family. 

The Original Five!

We all woke up and enjoyed a calm morning.  It was pouring down rain and snow this morning but Mom and I still put our rain jackets on and went for a nice walk.  The rain didn't bother me...I loved it!

We went out for an early lunch before my Pre Op appointment and I got to visit Gateway mall for the 1st time.  I have wanted to just walk around and see it and we did!  No shopping...but we did stumble onto TUCANOS for lunch!  Woo Hoo!  One of my favorite places ever and I haven't eaten there in years (Lindsey & Chelsea!).  Most of my family had never eaten there and it was a fun and really yummy Brazilian experience! 



The Pre Op was fine.  Brian already explained the details.  Not too exciting.  I was however happy to have a later surgery time.  We'll have a calm morning...not rushed.

After the Pre Op I got to go to another 1st!  We went to IKEA!  I have heard so much about IKEA and my brother's wanted to go so we did!  WOW!  What a wonderland!  I found some great ideas for the basement and truly enjoyed being amazed by how much they have and their good prices!  A good distraction!

A good friend of mine brought my family a cooler full of food for the hospital waiting room - a survival kit!  Thank you so much Jill!  Love you!

Soon it was time to eat again!  We ordered take out from PF Changs!  (Yes, they are spoiling me!)  The food, of course, was delicious ... but here is the best part

MY FORTUNE COOKIE SAID!

"TOMORROW WILL BE LUCKY AND MEMORABLE  FOR YOU!"

Well "MEMORABLE" - I knew it would be...but "LUCKY" is perfect!  HOW FUN! 

Brian laughed and said..."It's a good thing I didn't throw you the one I got!"  Brian's fortune cookie said..."An alien of some sort will be appearing to you shortly!"  HA!  No joke!  Has anyone ever had such an odd fortune cookie?

Anyway!  I'll take my fortune!

I also got to watch the Finals for "Dancing with the Stars" much to the men's dismay of Brian, Dad and my brothers!  I will be counting on someone letting me know who won!...(I've been cheering for Evan since Day 1!)

I am calm.  I am okay.  Tomorrow will come and go.  As nervous as I am I feel like I have no other option than to just be brave, walk in, and do it.  Putting it into the hands of the Lord...and the doctor too!

Thank you for your prayers, love and service.  I don't feel alone.

Goodnight - I am tired!  I am officially turning the blog over to Brian now.  He will be posting surgery updates tomorrow and letting everyone know of my progress and when I am ready for phone calls, visits, etc...

4 comments:

c-natalie-l-k-l said...

I'm praying for you, Kara! Good luck!!

M and N Tenny said...

Good luck Love! You are in my thoughts and prayers!

Suzanne said...

My Dear Kara,
We Love you and we'll be fasting and praying you along all during your surgery tomorrow!
Suzanne

Love The Galloway's said...

That fortune cookie thing had me laughing right out loud! Who thinks of those anyway? Yours of course was perfect. I kept asking the nurses to tap me into some of Cade's good drugs when he was in there so maybe Brian can get them to do it and see aliens?! Love ya and we'll watch the miracles flow. Jill