On May 5th, 2010 our life was redefined when we discovered that I have a tumor
growing in the spinal cord of my neck.

The purpose of this blog to keep an updated record of our "Life Redefined" and give you the details you might be wondering about (surgery, recovery and other random daily stuff, etc...)

For our friends and our family members who want to be kept updated this is the easiest way for us to do it. It's also good therapy for me to write it down!

We still want you to call or visit if you feel like it - we find so much strength from you. All of your words and encouraging thoughts and prayers are a great blessing for us!

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Getting Through the Night

Some nights are better than others and last night ranked fairly poorly. 

For the past few nights sleeping on my back seemed to be the best position for comfort and good sleep.  Last night I was up for hours feeling what felt like my entire body falling asleep.  It kept me up a lot.  I finally listened to the promptings that I had received a few times and turned to my side (a position that had previously really hurt).  As soon as I turned to one side I got the feeling back in most places.  Phew!  I guess I was putting too much pressure on my neck or something.  It's weird trying to figure it all out.

Levi likes to eat every 2 1/2 hours.  Even though he is now a 100% formula fed baby, Brian and I are trying to help each other by taking turns.  I don't mind being up with the kids...it brings me comfort to know that I can be.  We are not bottle experts so we are not as quick as Levi would like us to be and it's hard on him. 

Andrew's little cough got him up just after I laid back in bed after Levi's 4 a.m. feeding.  I got up with him for 45 minutes to read him stories while he did a breathing treatment.  Once again, I totally don't mind.  These moments are the ones I am cherishing most right now.

After my time with Andrew, I noticed the sun beginning to rise, I got back in bed with my heating pad on my legs and laid there, fairly comfortable, but awake.  My thoughts led to prayer and pleading for several tender minutes. 

The sun is up now and I'm feeling pretty good.  Brian and I have plans to go to the Idaho Falls Temple this morning for a couple hours.  I need to be there with him.  He is being so loving and great and strong.  At times I look at him, however, and I see it in his face, the overwhelming weight that he is trying to bare right now...keeping his kids happy and playing with them (like nothing has changed), the house duties that I can't do, his work, having time with me, having time to rest and sleep.  Please pray for Brian, our kids and the rest of our family too...

Our life has definitely been "Redefined."  Strange how things can change so much and so quickly.

8 comments:

carolina said...

que palabras tan hermosas escribes de tu esposo. Estoy muy emocionada realmente. Ruego a Dios le siga dando toda la fuerza a Brian para ayudarte en lo que necesite.
Amiga estas en mis oraciones, he quedado muy afectada y preocupada con lo que te esta pasando :( lloré mucho ayer luego de leer tus palabras en este blogs; pero ahora siento una enorme tranquilidad entregada por mi Padre Celestial que sé con todo mi corazón que mi amiga y compañera Kara estará bien.
Te amo mucho querida amiga, cuenta conmigo para lo que necesites.

Cass said...

Love you Kara. You and your beautiful family will definitely be in my prayers. Besos!

Unknown said...

Kara,
I have been touched by your faith and hope. You are an amazing person with much good to do. I am praying for you and your family and for your doctors. God grant you the peace you need to walk through this valley.

Anonymous said...

We are praying for you and your cute family. If you need anything while you are in Salt Lake, let me know how I can help while you are down here. Hang in there! Jenny Scoresby (because you probably can't guess who sportsgal is!)

Erinn said...

oh kara! you and your beautiful family are in my prayers. thank you for taking the time to update us all on how you are doing. your truly an inspiration... i've always thought so.

Matt and Jessie said...

I just wanted to let you know that I have had you and your sweet family in my thoughts constantly since I heard what you all have been going through. We will certainly keep you in our prayers! We would love to help in any way that we can!

Jon and Maryanne said...

Oh Kara...
I am so sorry you are having to go through this. You and your family will definitely be in our thoughts and prayers and I will let my mom know too. I feel like we have lost touch with eachother over the years, but I am so grateful to have blogger and facebook to keep "somewhat" in touch with you and other good friends from past years. I am sitting here in tears as I just can't imagine what you are going through and relizing that trials like this can truly happen to anyone; this one just hits really close to home for me. You have always been such a GREAT example to me and you still are. I love you and think about you often. I love to reminise about the "spokane girls" in our little apartment in Provo and the fun and silly times that we had! I will check often to see how things are going and you will be in my thoughts and prayers. Take care. Love, Maryanne

Kaish said...

Kara, this put me to tears to hear what your going through. You are such an amazing person, so inspiring! I can only imagine how hard this is on you and your family. Were praying for all of you and if you need absolutely anything at all let us know. Love ya girl