On May 5th, 2010 our life was redefined when we discovered that I have a tumor
growing in the spinal cord of my neck.

The purpose of this blog to keep an updated record of our "Life Redefined" and give you the details you might be wondering about (surgery, recovery and other random daily stuff, etc...)

For our friends and our family members who want to be kept updated this is the easiest way for us to do it. It's also good therapy for me to write it down!

We still want you to call or visit if you feel like it - we find so much strength from you. All of your words and encouraging thoughts and prayers are a great blessing for us!

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Honestly...

Today has been one of those down more than up days. Some pretty hard things happened, but I'll spare details until later when I"m feeling more up to it.  Just please keep praying for feeling and the ability to use my lower body.  Pray that my discouragement will be infused by hope.  


I guess it's normal though now that I know what I am really up against.  A crazy physical battle.  Many have conquered before.

I'm not trying to be a total downer though so....The 3 highlights of a really hard depressing day were!

(1) My brother Ben bought me a webcam and hooked me up to Skype so I got to talk to Emily and Andrew live! Thanks for such an awesome gift Beener! I love you! Drive safely! (Love you too Erin!  Thanks for your visits and smiles and flowers!)

Saying goodbye to Levi for a while.

(2) A very surprise visit from my dear sweet friend and "sister" Kathy Johnson from Idaho Falls.



(3) a LOVELY bouquet of flowers, happy balloons and treats from my Brother and Sister-in law and family.

P.S. Yesterday:

I was also visited by Brian's Sister Kandis and her family!  They brought me THE YUMMIEST Greek Gyro and we had such a great visit. I loved hugging and chit chatting with my niece Raygan! Love you guys! 



Brian's parents also came down and shared some wonderful time with us and his Grandma Hansen!  I received another blessing from Brian and his Dad...so thankful.

So...I'll continue to count my blessings and pray like crazy.

11 comments:

Jamie said...

Oh, Kara! I miss ya! I feel so bad and hate that we are so far away! But, Christy and I and whoever else have big plans to come visit this next week. I can't wait. Let us know if there is anything you need or what food you just have to have or whatever else.

Good luck with everything. Still praying for you each day. Love ya so much! Keep your chin up, girl. See you soon!

Erin said...

So sorry to hear that you had a discouraging day. Are you up for calls? I'd love to chat.

Bhennefer said...

I know you don't know me really well Kara but I just wanted you to know I think you are a very strong girl from what I have read about what you are going through and the great attitude you have had!! Don't give up it sounds like you have great support!! I went through a trial in my life last year. About a week after I had my baby girl I ended up being lifeflighted out with bleeding in my head and everytime I stood up to walk I would loose feeling in my right side. They told me I would probably end up with brain surgery when I reached Boise. I was so scared that I would not know my kids when I woke up or that I would have to relearn everything. My husband and a Priesthood holder at the hospital gave me a blessing before I was lifeflighted and when I arrived at Boise hospital they did CT and MRI's and found that the bleeding had stopped and kept me in the neuro floor over night and gave me some medication that I was on until March. I know this is nothing compared to what you are having to go through but I wanted you to know that Priesthood blessings are amazing and keep your Faith!! Your a very strong girl!! Keep Smiling you have a beautiful smile!! This experience has just made me stronger and made me realize how important every moment with my family is.

Teresa said...

Kara, I'm so sorry your day was so rough. You are, of course, still in our prayers (and we're keeping your name in the temple, so many people are praying for you).

I know things will get better. I wish it were immediate!

In my primary lesson this week, a story was shared about Hugh B. Brown. In short, he suffered some disappointments and wondered why the God allowed them to happen to him. Then the following words came to his mind, "I am the gardener here. I know what I want you to do."

I don't know if that helps, but I do know the Lord is watching over you. You are one of his faithful daughters! He loves you.

I hope your days go better. We all love you!!

Jess said...

I am so glad I was able to spend some time with you tonight. You are strong and you will make it through this. I love you!

Teresa said...

By the way, how are your toes? :)

Suzanne said...

My Dear Kara,
I wish my magic wand was working or that I lived closer and could come to see you face to face. This experience that you are going through is what I call a "Gethsemane" one. I think that many will go through at least one in their life time. One that will test them to the core. Now, we know how this will end for you, for you have had Priesthood blessings which indicate that this will all work out and you will be victorious over this huge trial that you have been asked to endure and work through. FOCUS on the Priesthood blessings that you have received. If you can remember them write them down. Maybe you could have someone help you to recall what these blessings have said. Then I want you to read them each day. Your Heavenly Father will give you the peace that you ask for. At times I think it is helpful to take one day at a time. I remember a pioneer story, where it was recorded that someone said that they would look at a rock up ahead and say I just have to make it to this rock and then I must stop. Then when they made it to the rock they would fix their mind on another marker in the distance and they would concentrate on reaching this marker. Some times it helps to set realistic goals each and every day and to celebrate your progress-every little thing that you do a little better each day-this is what you should focus on. I love you so much, Kara and I know that you will get through this and once you are on the other side of this and you are running around playing soccer with your cute kids, you will think back on this experience and you will understand what amazing things you have learned and you will be impressed by your strength and fortitude and faith and the love that your Heavenly Father has for you. It's okay to have a bad day- give your self permission and then get your fight back and know that we are all praying for you and are with you each step of the way!
Love,
Suzanne

amy said...

please be patient. It took me 6 weeks before i could sleep in my bed not in the recliner. and a little longer than that to raise my hand over my head. You are on Gods time now. listen to His promptings.

Bowler Family said...

Kara,

So glad that you were able to have some fun visitors and the web cam.... AWESOME GIFT!! I bet your cute little ones were just as happy as you were!
Keep your chin up! It will just take time! You are in our thoughts and prayers:)

MISS YOU!!

Red Head Family said...

Kara and Brian thank you for making such a great effort to keep us all updated on your progress. I anxiously await each new update to know how you are doing!! You are such a strong woman with lots of faith (admirably!!) I know you will get through this trial and be stronger (literally too) at the end of this road!! Small blessings and miracles await you. We love you!!

cardwellclan said...

That has got to be frustrating, but I love how you still are looking for the positive! And it's okay to sometimes feel discouraged...maybe just not for too long :) I have felt a good feeling whenever I pray for you and whatever you need. I don't know what that means, but I know that Heavenly Father is aware of you and is watching over you!

Love,

Cardwells