On May 5th, 2010 our life was redefined when we discovered that I have a tumor
growing in the spinal cord of my neck.

The purpose of this blog to keep an updated record of our "Life Redefined" and give you the details you might be wondering about (surgery, recovery and other random daily stuff, etc...)

For our friends and our family members who want to be kept updated this is the easiest way for us to do it. It's also good therapy for me to write it down!

We still want you to call or visit if you feel like it - we find so much strength from you. All of your words and encouraging thoughts and prayers are a great blessing for us!

Saturday, May 22, 2010

A Special Family Night...

Well, the night that I have been planning on came.  The night when we would tell the kids what has been going on.  They had already figured out some things, but we sat down and explained it to them.  It was really very nice actually.

We called it a Family Home Evening and Brian's parent's came down from Victor to be here with us.  We started with a song and a prayer and that always calms the atmosphere and invites a peaceful feeling.  I gave the "lesson."  We talked about when I went to the hospital to have Levi and told them I would be going to back to the hospital.  We told them that this time the doctors were going to help me get better because I was sick and that I would be gone for a much longer time.  They didn't really seem to phased, which I figured would happen (they're only 5 and 2).  I wasn't expecting tears and "No, Mommy...Don't GO"s! They were excited that they would be spending a lot of time with Grandmas and Grandpas and Aunts and Uncles!  They squealed in excitement over that!  I told them that when they said their prayers each night they needed to ask a special prayer for Mommy to recover quickly and a prayer for Mommy's doctors too.  Emily asked a lot of questions, like "are you going to get shots?" etc... She was curious, but I didn't really want to go into too much detail.  They just know that Mommy's going to be in the hospital for a long time.

Brian and his father then gave each of the children a Father's Blessing.  They were beautiful, peaceful prayers through the hands of two of the most wonderful, faithful, Priesthood holders I know. 

After the blessings I pulled out two extremely soft and cute stuffed puppy dogs!  Pink for Emily and Brown for Andrew!  I told them that they were their "Mommy Hugs and Kisses Puppies!" and before I let them have them I made them watch me LOAD those dogs with "MILLIONS and TRILLIONS of HUGS and KISSES!"  They were each SO CUTE and SO EXCITED to get their puppies in their arms!  They carried them around all night and they're in bed with them now!  They understand that when they need hugs and kisses from Mommy that the puppies are loaded to the gills and they carry an unlimited supply of Mommy's kisses and hugs! (Brian and Grandma and Grandpa got to load them with kisses and hugs too...so they are super ready for the job!)

Emily and Andrew went down to watch a movie and I then received a blessing from Brian and his father.  I am so grateful for the power of the Priesthood.  I am so grateful for it in my home.  I am so grateful to KNOW that it is real.  Brian also received a tender Father's Blessing.

It has been a good day and a wonderful night.

The kids fell asleep watching their movie and Brian carried them upstairs.  As I came to their bedroom to say goodnight, my emotions already high, I just fell on top of Andrew's sweet, soft, forehead with teary kisses and couldn't stop.  I eventually had to wedge my big old body up beside him and just lay there for a while hugging him.  Don't get me wrong, I know that I am going to get to be with them again, but it's still so very emotional for me to say goodbye to them.  They will be my complete motivation in getting back to 100%.  I just want to know that I will be holding them with my own two arms and on my own two feet.  It would also help to know just how soon that will happen!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so beautiful. Truly one of the most spiritually charged blog posts I've ever read. Good luck. You're in our prayers, and we love you.
I think the writing on your shoulders is a great idea. What music are you going to have in the OR?

JessieMomma said...

I am so glad you had a beautiful time with your lovies! I can feel the Spirit as I read about it. I am glad you all got blessings. The Priesthood is such an amazing blessing and I know the power your husband and father-in-law have because of it IS REAL!

There isn't anything more precious than holding a sleeping baby... no matter how old he might be(think Love You Forever), it's good that you allowed those feelings and moments. They will be important as you recover.

I never considered music in the OR... I always thought the Dr's chose.... hmmm. What will you be having?

We love you!

Red Head Family said...

The tears are flowing just reading this!! Please remember we want to help whomever and however we can!! We are always thinking and praying for you!!

Jon and Maryanne said...

That was so sweet and so perfect for you, your husband, and your kids! You and your family will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers(my mom's too)! You have always been and continue to be such and amazing example!