On May 5th, 2010 our life was redefined when we discovered that I have a tumor
growing in the spinal cord of my neck.

The purpose of this blog to keep an updated record of our "Life Redefined" and give you the details you might be wondering about (surgery, recovery and other random daily stuff, etc...)

For our friends and our family members who want to be kept updated this is the easiest way for us to do it. It's also good therapy for me to write it down!

We still want you to call or visit if you feel like it - we find so much strength from you. All of your words and encouraging thoughts and prayers are a great blessing for us!

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Better Day...

Emotional times like yesterday come and go.  Yesterday they came and today they were gone. 

Today was just another day and although it was VERY uneventful, I was okay, no tears.  I was only in therapy for 2 hours and the rest of the day I have been in my room, listening to a book on tape, reading, taking a nap, watching a movie, Skyping with my family, talking to my mom or writing in my journal.  That is pretty much what I do to pass the time! 

I did get brave and I used my walker a couple of times today to get around my room.  I even took it across the hall to the bathroom and back!  There were a couple of times when I lost a tiny bit of balance and felt a little uneasy on the walker, but I quickly recovered!  Practice is important and key to me being able to come home as well as I can be...I am ready to keep surprising my PTs and OTs!  Yeay! 

Maybe by the time Levi is walking without help from anyone I'll be walking without help from a walker or crutches!  I give us about 6 mos...maybe less!  Then maybe by the time Levi is running I'll go for a jog too!  Wow!  I can't imagine how that would feel!  Time will tell!

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Kara...so sad to read your last post. But, I feel better after reading this one. I know that you have "whatever" days and that there will be more to come. But, they are, as you know, part of the journey and just a small moment in the grand scheme.

I can not wait for you to come home! It will not be long now. I know it seems long today. I can't wait to pass your house, as I do everyday, and know that you are inside with your family.

You have done so awesome. I know when Christy and I left the hospital 2 1/2 weeks ago, we thought it would be a LONG time until you would be able to walk. Now look at you! I really can't believe how much progress you have made in that short amount of time. I am so so proud of you.

I love ya! Can't wait to see ya! Good luck! Work hard this week! Every minute and day brings you closer to home! Miss you!

Suzanne said...

My Dear Kara,
It think you have done amazingly well through all of this. I know that Heavenly Father will help you through these "whatever days." I want you to know that I appreciate your honesty and it would be odd if you didn't have some of these pent up emotions that need to get out. This is okay and doesn't mean that you are not coping well--you are!!! Tears are sometimes the best way to relieve stress. You are wonderful, amazing, strong, faithful, loving, funny, and just plain adorable! Please know that we continue to pray for you each and every day and night, and sometimes in between!!! We know that all experiences are not wasted. To say this has been grueling doesn't even begin to describe it I am sure, but wonderful things await you. At times we need to just let each day unfold and trust that our Heavenly Father is watching over us. Miracles do happen! You are a miracle!! I cried when I saw you walk up those stairs! You will continue to improve and surpass each goal you set and with each step of the way you will continue to be a LIGHT to all around you.
Love,
Suzanne

Unknown said...

Kara! Hey girl!!!! you are doing such amazing things!!!! We are so happy for you. You've got a great attitude and out look. With such wonderful friends and family there for you. I'm so grateful for such cool modern ways that allow you to see and talk to your kids and husband everyday. It's great isn't it! I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad day the other day, but I think you were right when you said it was probably time for "one of those days!" You are doing amazingly well staying possitive and strong. You not only help yourself by doing that but all of the rest of us to who love you.
Good luck this week. Keep up the hard work and we'll keep praying with you. Love ya Leslie

cardwellclan said...

Kara,

We wanted to come visit you on Sunday, but I had to rest a little bit more than I was planning on. (this belly!) Just to say hi.

Love ya,
Becky