On May 5th, 2010 our life was redefined when we discovered that I have a tumor
growing in the spinal cord of my neck.

The purpose of this blog to keep an updated record of our "Life Redefined" and give you the details you might be wondering about (surgery, recovery and other random daily stuff, etc...)

For our friends and our family members who want to be kept updated this is the easiest way for us to do it. It's also good therapy for me to write it down!

We still want you to call or visit if you feel like it - we find so much strength from you. All of your words and encouraging thoughts and prayers are a great blessing for us!

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Question: "So, what's REALLY going on?"

A friend of mine came to visit a couple of days ago and her 1st question to me was "So, what's REALLY going on?" 

I realized then that my descriptions have been vague as to where I really am in this whole journey and I have thought a lot about how to describe it so that it answers questions others might be having too.

I don't want this post to seem like I have no hope of great miracles and being fully restored, but here's my reality today.

MY REALITY TODAY

I can't stand or walk.

A BUNCH OF EXPLANATION, ETC. (in no particular order!)

- After undergoing the trauma of surgery we were and are so grateful that MOST of my motion has been undamaged.

 My Upper Body:

They biggest issue with my upper body is that the muscles which were cut through for the surgery are still healing and I have a lot of muscle spasms and a lot of pain associated with that part of it.  Time will definitely heal all of that!  Otherwise, I am confident my upper body will become fully functional and as strong as ever.  WOO HOO!  But here's a better explanation of my post-surgery symptoms! 

Left Arm is my strongest all of all 4 of my limbs.
The only real symptom I feel in my left arm is an ever so slight tingling in my fingers.
When they tested my left arm it is still weaker than a normal 29 year old woman's arm, but all of the Physical Therapy and work will cure that in no time.

Right Arm - all of the testing shows that it is about 1/2 as strong as my left arm. 
My finger tips are numb on my right hand, my numbness gets worse from my pointer finger to my pinky...my pinky being the most numb.

My Lower Body:

I cannot feel anything below where my rib cage ends.  I will clarify this below.

Initially the Doctors explain your spinal cord as being broken up into two major functions...1. Sensory (Feel)  and 2. Motor (Motion).  So, when going into surgery I guess I just expected that if sensory was damaged then that was that.  All of your sensory was toast.  Same with Motor.  If I lost Motor function in my arm then my arm was essentially paralyzed.

After surgery Dr. Dailey came out pleased as could be because I was wiggling all of my extremities!  Yeay!  A miracle!  My Motor functions are good! 

The days have gone on and we are much more aware that both Sensory and Motion are much more complex then just turning them off or on.  There are a lot of different functions within both Sensory and Motion. 

So here's where I am with my lower body, Sensory and Motion.

Muscles: My muscles are totally intact!  A huge blessing!  They will be KEY to my successes in the future.  My muscle control is out of whack however.  My legs kind of flop around like a fish out of water and the Physical Therapists are always joking with me when I try to get my leg up because they fling like an out of control sling shot and then I sometimes kick them!  (Accidentally of course!) 

Physical Therapy is teaching me how to slowly focus on controlling my crazy muscles (or lack thereof) and that is one I am confident I will conquer and learn.

Sensory: Okay, so as I said, I cannot feel below my rib cage.  This is true in MOST ways. 

If you were to grab my leg or pat my leg I wouldn't feel it.

If you were to knock on my knees I wouldn't feel it.

If you were to brush your hand up and down my legs I would feel it and it HURTS...it feels like fire rubbing up and down my legs.  Imagine getting clothes and socks on and off...the Burning.

If you were to pinch me I wouldn't feel the pinch but I would feel the burn.

When I put my feet on the ground I can't feel that they are there and I am constantly asking others..."where are my feet?  Are they touching the ground?  Which way are they facing?"

My BIG set back is the part of my sensory that is called Proprioception.

(According to Wikepedia - "It is the sense that indicates whether the body is moving with required effort, as well as where the various parts of the body are located in relation to each other.")

So in my own words here's what lack of Proprioception feels like to me.  When they help me use my muscles on the parallel bars (holding me of course) to stand up I feel like I am levitating and floating I have no idea in space where I am...where my legs are.

Some might lose Proprioception in their ankles, others in their hips...when this happens in one joint it's bit easier to work with Physical Therapy wise and training wise.  Since I have lost this sensation from my rib cage down it means my hips, knees and ankles...everything we use to walk...is lost. 

So, if I were to use my muscles, concentrate really hard where I am placing my body parts and try walking and walk even the tiniest of steps at any given moment my hips, knees or ankles may bend twist, hyper extend or flop out this is extremely dangerous.  I run the risk of, or course, falling, breaking bones, joints, muscle damage, anything. 

There are millions of questions to follow this diagnosis like:
"So will you ever be able to walk again?"
"Will you regain your Proprioception?"
"What do the Doctors say?  What do you they think will happen for you?"
"Do people without Proprioception from the hips down ever learn how to walk again?"
On and On and On and On.

The answers to all of these questions are:
WE DON'T KNOW
Just like when when we asked the Doctor..."what causes these tumors?" and his best answer is "Bad Luck"
Sometimes there are just no answers to our questions. 

We have heard few interesting medical numbers however.  Yesterday I was taught in a class on Spinal Cord injuries most Spinal Cord healing will plateaus or stops after 2 years post injury.  (They have seen it up to 5-10 years but that is rare) 2 years is pretty much the scientific number behind Spinal Cord healing.  This, of course, doesn't mean that's how long it's going to take me to heal completely (I may not ever).  It also doesn't mean that I am not going to heal completely in 6 months (I may).  WE JUST DON'T KNOW.

Here is my motto:
"My reality today is my reality today and I take it day by day."

Yes, it's hard, yes, I cry, yes, I am frustrated beyond belief at times.  But "my reality is my reality and I take it day by day."

I am doing well.  I am okay with this.  I am at peace.  I am a happy person who has SO MUCH TO LIVE FOR and I am not upset that this has happened to me.  Just because I can't walk doesn't change me. I am okay.  It is going to be a major adjustment and we have a lot of work to do!  It's going to be HARD.  I will continue to need the amazing support and encouragement that has been coming since tumor diagnosis day.

I have new goals already.  I love triathlons and, who knows, maybe I'll do one next year! ...but my reality is my reality and I CAN SWIM!  So, I am already looking forward to that and challenging myself there!  I can still do SO many things physically!  My upper body strength is going to be AWESOME!

Other doses of my new reality are:

- Our house has to undergo some pretty good changes and adjustments to be able to bring me home safely, not to mention my cupboards up high!  Total downward shifting!

- I've been told that after Spinal Cord injuries like mine they will take away my Driver's License for a year.  HOLY COW?  Even with a car that has hand controls for gas and breaks.  I am NOT A HOME BODY.  I am get out of the house person.  That's going to be huge challenge for me.

- My sweet husband, family and I will be figuring this out step by step and it will be very challenging.  Just our new daily life.  My husband and family need just as much support, if not more, than I do.

- There are an unbelievable amount of logistics to work through just make this work (i.e. insurance -what's paid for what's not, a good Physical Therapy place for me when I get home, is the mini-van our best choice for a car and on an on...)

- Because I have a baby and young children my slick little wheelchair that I can get around in really well will not work so well when I am trying to carry Levi around the house, so they say I'll need a Power Chair too so I can use one hand to control corners and not drop him.  Crazy. 

SO MANY QUESTIONS, some can be answered and others not!

I hope this has helped.  Sorry if any of my grammar or spelling makes this hard to understand.

Today is going to be a good day!  I take it day by day and I am happy!

21 comments:

Dana, Proud mommy to 4 said...

Thanks so much for the explanation. I was wondering too all the details. I'm happy you're doing well and I hope and pray things will continue to do so. If I can help out in any ways please let me know.

Unknown said...

Kara! Wow what an amazing person you are! Thank you for explaining all that the best you could. I wish I could have explained all that with my injuries. God is Great and the best thing is "One day at a time". Ya know could you get a little side car for that cool wheel chair, cuz I got a pup that would love to ride with you! lol Keep SmiLing friend and I'm so thankful to God that you are here with everyone! BIG HUGS!!!

Larsen said...

Kara, this is a great post and explanation of where you are really stand/sit (no pun intended) in the process of healing.

Thanks for telling us all. It answers some questions, and points out there are no answers to some questions that we would all like the answers too.

I am having a hard time logging into playlist for you. You may get another email. let me know. I tried calling, but you must be busy.

Talk to you soon!

Gina

Angie said...

Kara,
I'm enjoying spending time with your children. They are so sweet! Keep working hard. You amaze me with your attitude, you are an example to us all. We'll talk to you later.

Angie

mmorgan said...

Oh my goodness! I have to admit that I had no idea how long/hard the recovery would be. But!! You have such an awesome additude and you will pull through this!! We may be able to come a visit you next week sometime...I will call you. Love ya tons-
Marinda

The Stones said...

What a great explanation of everything. I think about you and pray for you daily. Even with all the challenges you still always have something positive to say. It takes a strong person to do that! You're such a sweet and amazing person. Thanks for all the updates.

Love,
Miss

Erin said...

Kara, you described your situation very well. I am glad to know all the details of what you are dealing with. Keep up the good work! Love you, Erin

Bonewell said...

Thank you for the information. We send our love and prayers.
I sent to an e-mail to your G-mail address.
Love your jokes! They brighten my day. And I love your spirit, determination and faith.

Valerie said...

I am sure Brian is glad you posted this after we bombarded him with questions on Tuesday night :) YOu are so inspiring. You remind me of all the things I take for granted during the day - thanks for being so open and faithful.

Matt and Jessie said...

I can't believe what a great attitude you have about everything. You are so so strong! I look up to you in so many ways. We are keeping you and your family in our prayers.

Unknown said...

Oh my love. I am grateful that you are happy for the most part and, of course that you have such a wonderful attitude. You have always been an amazing person, but even more so now, I think. My heart is hurting that you are having to endure so much though my friend. Dang it. Keep up the faith and the strength. We're pulling for you. Love Hez

cardwellclan said...

I am amazed at you typing that! I feel inspired by your attitude and appreciate your thoughts!!! You have touched so many lives and are a good example. That has got to be so hard, but you have an attitude that inspires people during your trial! We still pray for you and love you even more as we pray. If you need a stop between Idaho Falls and Salt Lake, we are really close to the highway exit in Brigham City. You are always welcome to stop here for any reason. We even have two bathrooms! So, even for bathroom stops...

Love

Becky and M.

M and N Tenny said...

Kara, I think about you all the time! Love ya babe!

JessieMomma said...

Thank you for taking time to help us understand what you're dealing with at this time. I love your motto! That is the most positive saying I've ever heard! Is swimming something you will be able to do soon? In PT?

Can't wait to hear all about your fun visit with your kids this weekend!!!! Love you tons and tons!

Praying always,Jessica

Larsen said...

bless your heart! we love ya and pray for your wellbeing.

kyle

Shari said...

Thank you so much for this post. It really is helpful to know a little more of what you are dealing with. You are such a strong and amazing person. I'm grateful to be able to call you my friend. Remember that things happen for a reason, just like BC happened for a reason. You have a lot of friends and SISTERS who love you and your family. Don't forget that! :)

Christy said...

Wow!! You are incredible and so strong. I hope you know that you have more support than you probably realize. I am constantly thinking of you and pray for your recovery. Even my mom who doesn't even know you has asked about you and how you are doing ever time I talk to her. It is a story but my mom got really sick after my younger sister was born and she was in bed for about a year and a half and she still has health problems which limit her mobility. Life for our family changed forever but we have grown a lot from it and I wouldn't change a thing. So please know that you are not alone in this.

The Yeager Family said...

Thanks for such a great explanation of what you are going through. You are a true hero. So inspiring! You have our prayers behind you!

The Yeager Family said...

Thanks for such a great explanation of what you are going through. You are a true hero. So inspiring! You have our prayers behind you!

Backwoods Browns said...

Oh wow Kara, You are much stronger than I ever would be with it! I am thankful for the possibilities that you have with your healing and hope and pray that you heal well. I appreciate the in depth explanation of what is going on and hope you have all th comfort and support you need! What a hard trial to have to learn from. I love you!!

Erinn said...

kara -

you have been on my mind so much lately... thanks for the update. you are so strong! there is a book i read a few months back and i want to recommend it to you, it's called, "the impossible just takes a little longer" by art berg. it's an amazing book full of insight. art was in an accident and suffered a spinal cord injury. his perspective is amazing, just as yours is. if i owned the book i'd send it right to you but i don't.