On May 5th, 2010 our life was redefined when we discovered that I have a tumor
growing in the spinal cord of my neck.

The purpose of this blog to keep an updated record of our "Life Redefined" and give you the details you might be wondering about (surgery, recovery and other random daily stuff, etc...)

For our friends and our family members who want to be kept updated this is the easiest way for us to do it. It's also good therapy for me to write it down!

We still want you to call or visit if you feel like it - we find so much strength from you. All of your words and encouraging thoughts and prayers are a great blessing for us!

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Visitors Make the Good Days Great and the Bad Days Magically Better!

I have been SO blessed to have many visitors!

My Sister-in-Law, Jen,  my niece, Kayleigh, and my nephews, Logan & Talon from Shelley surprised me one afternoon!  I was totally unaware they were in Utah and it was so great to see them!  The hugs!



We had a SPOKANE REUNION with 3 of my dear friends from Washington who are living here in Utah! 

Christy & Jaime (2 of my best buds from Idaho Falls!) came down and stayed 2 nights with me.  (Well, one night in the condo with my mom and the other here in my hospital room!)  A Sleepover!  We laughed a lot and they came to some of my therapies with me and for the 1st time I felt like life was kind of "normal" again!  We went "out to eat" too, for my 1st time and at some  DELICIOUS Chinese food!  (Down to the hospital cafeteria anyway!)  When Christy and Jaime 1st got here they came loaded with care packages from my friends and neighbors back home!  To all of you...THANK YOU SO MUCH!  I don't really know what to say or how to thank any and all of you who have given so much and loved my family and I so much!


Eating Chocolate Covered Strawberries...from Heaven I think!

The "SHOWERING" of care packages from home.

A  Foot Massage!
Testing out the "Power Chair"...(I know you can't see the chair, but that's what we were doing anyway!)

Yesterday was one of my hardest days physically and I was completely discouraged and depressed because of it.  SO HARD.  But, in the afternoon my hardest day, even though the pains were still there became MAGICALLY BETTER!  My sweet friend Jessie showed up for a visit with sweet little Aubrey and they went to a "Wellness Class" with me!  Brian's Sister Kandis, her husband Rob and my sweet little nieces came again to visit!  They were joined by two of the most wonderful women I know from Idaho Falls who decided to "just drive down!", Penny and Teresa!



After a wonderful few hours with Penny and Teresa, and a few pretty funny laughing moments my mom showed up with my Step Dad, Dennis, and my HUSBAND!  (Dennis & Brian both arrived about the same time, Dennis on a plane and Brian on a Shuttle from IF!)  Yeay! 

SO...my TERRIBLE DAY for pain and discomfort and a lot of PHYSICAL DISCOURAGEMENT was sweetened by the love of others!  Even though my pain and discomfort was so intense throughout the day I still was blessed to be able to smile!  I am ever so grateful!

There is another act of Selfless Love that I would like to share in this post about visitors.

Tuesday, the nurse came in and told me I had a visitor but that I didn't know this person.  OKAY?!  That's kind of strange?  I turned around and saw a super darling woman who looked to be about 9 months pregnant!  She introduced herself to me as Holly Martineau (sp?).  She explained to me that she was Becky Martin's Sister-in-Law.  (Becky Martin is a friend of mine from Idaho Falls, who recently moved to another city, we have really missed her and her husband Nick since they left.)  Holly explained to me that Becky was so sad she couldn't come visit me here in Utah where I have very few friends and family.  So Becky called Holly and asked her to come and visit me!  Well not only did Holly come visit me, but Holly is a massage therapist and she gave me a WONDERFUL foot massage!  (My feet have been cramping so bad and my muscles constantly hurt.)  Once again I don't know how to thank people for their selflessness.  Thank you BECKY!  I love you and miss you!  Thank you Holly for serving and TOTAL STRANGER.

The world is SO FULL OF GOODNESS AND LOVING PEOPLE.  It's hard to remember this sometimes with all of the crazy things happening all around (in the news etc...), but really...there is SO MUCH GOODNESS. 

Today is a family weekend for me!  I GET TO SEE MY KIDS in about 3 hours from now and I can't hardly hold back my tears of joy!  My Husband is back for the weekend!  My Mom and Step Dad are here!  My brother and his wife and family are going to be here for the weekend too!  I am SO EXCITED and SO BLESSED!


5 comments:

Debby said...

Kara - You are a beautiful daughter of our Heavenly Father who has touched so many lives for good. Our thoughts were turned to you and your family as we were in the temple last night. Know that there are many prayers continually being offered in behalf of you and your family. Keep smiling and working hard!!!!! Friends and family are so wonderful!!! We are glad so many have been able to be there for you. Enjoy your children and family this weekend!!! Our Love, Jim & Debby

Sam Peterson said...

Kara,
I just want you to know that you have been in my prayers every day. I have been keeping up with everything you post, and I am so amazed with your strength and positive attitude. I can't imagine anything harder as a young mother than to lose physcial abilities. I am so glad to know Heavenly FAther is watching over you. Please know that I think of you often and am hoping my prayers along with thousands of others will continue to lift you up. It breaks my heart sometimes to hear your news. I wish I could make it all go away. You are an amazing person, and I wish you many blessings in these next few weeks.
Love,
Katie Peterson

Becky said...

I'm so glad that you got to meet Holly! She's so fabulous! Thank you for the kind voice mail. We love you and are praying for you!!!

christy said...

Look at me, reading your blog and making comments. Love your posts here! Can't wait to see your kids too!

Larsen said...

Dear Kara--

Well we had hoped terribly to be amoung the list of visitors...a long list I might add....but I was so sick on sonday with a stomach bug, we decided against coming to see you. I am so sorry!

And I really thought I had added your playlist to your blog. Sheesh!

Okay, talk to you soon!