On May 5th, 2010 our life was redefined when we discovered that I have a tumor
growing in the spinal cord of my neck.

The purpose of this blog to keep an updated record of our "Life Redefined" and give you the details you might be wondering about (surgery, recovery and other random daily stuff, etc...)

For our friends and our family members who want to be kept updated this is the easiest way for us to do it. It's also good therapy for me to write it down!

We still want you to call or visit if you feel like it - we find so much strength from you. All of your words and encouraging thoughts and prayers are a great blessing for us!

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Can't Sleep Until I Share This...

I have been "falling asleep" off and on since 4 p.m. and still haven't really slept or taken a nap.  I thought for sure I was ready to sleep at about 9:20 p.m. when I was ending my video Skyping with the kids and was SO tired, but still I managed a few more phone calls and then the lights were off.  Here I am still not sleeping, I turned my lights on and turned to my journal for a moment to write something that had been on my mind.  Then the thoughts I had while writing in my journal made me turn to the scriptures.

I know that many of you who are following my blog are not members of my same religion or faith, but regardless you have expressed your deep Faith in God and have told me many times that you are praying for me.  The scriptures that I was turned to tonight are in the Book of Mormon and while some of you may not be familiar with the stories told in the Book of Mormon you will be familiar with these principles taught in the verses I read tonight in my sleeplessness. 

Just in case you're wondering where I am reading from: The Book of Mormon is set up like the Bible as far as separate books of scripture that have different names, such as Genesis, John, Ruth, Corinthians...etc...  The book from the Book of Mormon that I read from tonigt is coincidentally called "Mormon."  Mormon is the name of a prophet who also lived long ago on the American continent and who was an author of these ancient scriptures.  He had another role in helping compile other written works of that time into one book...and for that reason the Book of Mormon was named after him, for the role he played in bringing them together.

Mormon, Chapter 9, has long been a favorite chapter of scripture for me.  Now it holds new significance as I go through this experience and especially as I watch others around me go through much more challenging experiences than myself. 

Mormon 9: 15-21

15 And now, O all ye that have imagined up unto yourselves a god who can do no miracles, I would ask of you, have all these things passed, of which I have spoken? Has the end come yet? Behold I say unto you, Nay; and God has not ceased to be a God of miracles.


16 Behold, are not the things that God hath wrought marvelous in our eyes? Yea, and who can comprehend the marvelous works of God?

17 Who shall say that it was not a miracle that by his word the heaven and the earth should be; and by the power of his word man was created of the dust of the earth; and by the power of his word have miracles been wrought?

18 And who shall say that Jesus Christ did not do many mighty miracles? And there were many mighty miracles wrought by the hands of the apostles.

19 And if there were miracles wrought then, why has God ceased to be a God of miracles and yet be an unchangeable Being? And behold, I say unto you he changeth not; if so he would cease to be God; and he ceaseth not to be God, and is a God of miracles.

20 And the reason why he ceaseth to do miracles among the children of men is because that they dwindle in unbelief, and depart from the right way, and know not the God in whom they should trust.

21 Behold, I say unto you that whoso believeth in Christ, doubting nothing, whatsoever he shall ask the Father in the name of Christ it shall be granted him; and this promise is unto all, even unto the ends of the earth.

This is what I hang on to every day: the thought that if I do my part and  ask with faith in Him I may qualify for the miracle of a complete recovery!  I have already been the receiver of many great blessings and miracles!  For example: I am so grateful to have been blessed to find this tumor that was threatening my life, I am grateful that it was not cancerous and that the doctors are confident they got it all and I am SO GRATEFUL to be healing so quickly and to be walking and well on my way to a recovery!  Even if my recovery isn't 100% back to "normal" I know I'll be able to look back on this life experience and see how my prayers have been answered.  Having said that, I can do nothing else but pray and ask for the true desire of my heart and hope and pray that His will and my heart's desire are the same.

Thank you for letting me share!  Thank you again for all of your Faith and Prayers...I know it works!  I just know it!  I feel it every day!

6 comments:

Dana, Proud mommy to 4 said...

So amazing Kara! Thanks for sharing that. It brought tears to my eyes. We are so lucky to have the gospel, aren't we? I'm praying so hard for you and your family! Keep up the fantastic work!

Larsen said...

We are truly blessed to have such powerful messages from the Lord within the Book of Mormon. What a blessing.

Just can't get over your ticker that says 8 days til you come home.

WOOO HOOOO!!!! I was thinking it was going to be about 3 more weeks. So seeing 8 days, well that is INCREDIBLE!!!!

Turnbow's said...

Your blog makes me cry every day I read it. Even the jokes. Your strength is honestly just beautiful! I wish I could come see you everyday. I keep trying to figure out how to. I miss Aunt Karla and I want to be there for you to know we support, love, and are praying for you! Cameron and the boys will be up there next week for FOOTBALL camp and they would love to come see you if thats okay. LEt me know!

Matt and Jessie said...

Thank you for sharing your testimony! I really needed to hear that today. I think that it means more coming from you and what you and your family are going through. You are such an example in the way you have handled yourself. You are amazing!

Karen said...

If I have learned one thing in this life, it is that only through faith...earnest and true faith can we complete the lord's plan for us! Thank you Kara for sharing such a strong testimony and for being such a good example and disciple of Christ! I hope you know how much you are loved and respected! I know that you are a walking-talking miracle and it was only through your faith and the faith of those around you that it was possible! *hugs* You still amaze me!

The Rigby's said...

Powerful message Kara... Glad to hear you are mending and as positive as usual. Your story has been an inspiration to many people. Happy for you and your loved ones! Miracles do exsist and I feel blessed to have such profound examples all around me... Warmest Wishes! Toni